Sunday, July 3, 2011

Democracy Under Assault, A Saturday Centus

.
Jenny Matlock

Happy Fourth of July weekend to my fellow Centusians and bloggy buddies and welcome to my contribution to week 61 of Jenny Matlock’s Saturday Centus!   As you probably already know Saturday Centus is Jenny’s inspired literary dream-child which she graciously shares with us each week from her blog off on my tangent.

I am a day late joining in this week because I spent Saturday soaking up the deep-fried ambience of our local county fair.  There, with massive corndog in hand, I studiously examined the many interesting exhibits and grade school art projects as the intoxicating aroma of livestock filled my senses.   A day full of sensory delights to be sure!

The way SC works is Jenny gives us a prompt each Saturday morning, usually a written phrase but sometimes a photo, and we are assigned to write a short 100-word piece using that prompt.  The rules of this meme state that the prompt cannot be split or altered in any fashion.  Also vulgarity and photos or illustrations are not allowed except by special permission of Jenny. 

Even heavily censored vulgar photos with black “censored” boxes over the various naughty parts will absolutely not fly so don’t even attempt it.  And you know who I’m talking to, don’t you?

Writing with a maximum word limit of 100 words plus the prompt is a great way to learn how to write succinctly and be selective in your word choices.  Plus it is always a lot of fun to face the challenge and complete it each week.  After writing your story you need to link it back to Jenny’s meme post so the rest of us can read it and enjoy your creative take on the prompt.  Just click on the Saturday Centus button to see what other writers have submitted.

In honor of The Fourth Of July, our beloved Jenny has given us a prompt of “Oh, say can you see” to get our creative juices clicking on all cylinders.   In a bit of a departure for me I have offered up a bit of verse this week as my contribution.  What isn’t a departure for me are the political overtones.  I apologize in advance to any I might offend, but seriously if we don’t stop this insane Republican power-grab our country is doomed!  I have entitled this week’s submission:


Democracy Under Assault


Oh, say can you see

What the hell’s going on?

Betrayal in D.C.,

Is their sanity gone?


     Evil men full of greed,

     Such as John, Paul and Mitch,

     Willfully deny those in need.

     While giving billions to the rich.


They lie and promise a better future

Better yes, for their corporate masters,

While the rest of us share a different fate.

As they make our lives a disaster.


     We need to vote out these buffoons

     And end their power-hungry ascent.

     America was meant for all to enjoy

     Not just the richest two percent.


Jenny Matlock

"A Tea Party group has a summer camp for kids, the only one where they sit around the campfire and tell scary stories about taxing the top 2%."

                                                   -  Conan O'Brien

.

15 comments:

  1. Oh my!! This is most excellent poetry my friend...Peace and blessings

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done, Tom! Using poetry to punctuate your political views really works here. The rhyme and rhythm add that extra punch!

    Happy Independency Day!!

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice indeed! Well stated and I, too, enjoyed the rhythm.

    Excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bravo, Tom! Now if the rest of the country could just see the truth the way we do, maybe we'd get somewhere!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Tom!!!! This is my new favorite poem! Would you allow me to post this on my blog?? I'd link it to here. What an awesome post man, kudos!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tom. Loved it. So true. wow. I'm speechless.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bravo Tom!!! okay, i am a canadian but i can still relate!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Outstanding! Putting your views into poetry packs even more power.

    If only Obama would grow some balls
    and kick the GOP from the Congress halls...

    Okay. Nowhere near as good as yours, but I felt inspired.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tom, I went this direction first. When I read it to my husband he told me it didn't sound like me. Hmmm.... obviously, he think because I chose to never discuss politics I don't know about them!

    BUT...

    You did this right.

    I can see now what he meant.

    Next time I'm going to try to write about hockey or something. I know all about stuff like that.

    ha!

    Hope your Fourth was all sparkler-y!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome, awesome, Tom. I don't think I've read your poetry before. This is perfectly written - the rhythm, rhyme and message. My favorite line is "What the hell's going on?"

    PS I didn't make it to class this week. I just couldn't conjure up a poem or even prose. I'm thus more awestruck. xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow Tom, you wrote a poem with rhyme! I can almost never pull that off!
    Hope you had a happy Fourth! I am late making comments because I am in the middle of moving. I shouldn't be writing this - I should be packing!
    Best wishes,
    Anna
    A Rainy Day in July-Anna's SC wk 61

    ReplyDelete
  12. Absolutely fantastic! That's cool, bro!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Absolutely SPOT ON! ...and did you know my state Minnesota has decided to shut down our government.....not such a good way to celebrate the 4th...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! I am amazed at how you can whip off a long rhyming poem with a good message just like that! Very good Tom.~Ames

    ReplyDelete

Please share your comments with me!

Blogs I Am In Awe Of