Saturday, January 22, 2011

To Go Where Everyone Has Gone Before…

.
Jenny Matlock

Welcome to yet another weekly installment of Saturday Centus, that wonderfully challenging and yet refreshingly brief literary meme hosted by none other than that superstar of the blog world, Jenny Matlock, at her blog, off on my tangent.

This week’s assignment is yet another shake-up because usually we are assigned to write a story of up to 100 words (but no more than 100, or face the furious and unstoppable wrath of Ms. M) based upon a supplied prompt with the only other rules being no vulgarity, no splitting the prompt and no photos or illustrations.  What is different this week is that our stories must be written within the sci-fi genre.  Yes, sci-fi, as in outer space, time travel, alien beings, robots, futuristic technologies and the like. 

I think it’s marvelous!  What an interesting way to challenge Centusians to step outside their comfort zones and write about a reality that includes huge interstellar space ships, extraterrestrial hedgehogs and giant robot TSA inspectors from the future.   I definitely would like to see more of these shake-ups!  Maybe we should do one that combined the dark and moody film noir style of the 1930’s and 1940’s with one that has brain-eating zombies.  Oh, and make it a musical also!  I bet we could pull that off easily with 50 words tied behind our backs too! 

Just a thought.  (Please leave your invective at the usual place.)

This week’s prompt is “Beam me up, Scottie.”  My 100 word take on it follows.  I have entitled it:


To Go Where Everyone Has Gone Before…


“Captain’s log, Stardate 5732.4.

Our mission to save the planet Jen’Mat Lok III and destroy the loathsome creature known as the Srapal’n is complete."

*BEEP!!!*

“Captain, we received orders to proceed to Seti Alpha 6 immediately to bring medical aid to millions suffering from an outbreak of T’baaggah Fever.”

“Seti Alpha 6…isn’t that the planet known for its green-skinned dancing girls, Scottie?”

“No Captain…that is Seti Alpha 5.”

“Sigh.”

“Of course”, chimed Scottie, “it IS on the way.”

“Beam me up, Scottie!  We have some humanitarian aid to deliver.”

“Yessir, Captain.  Dibs on the redhead!”



With apologies to Gene Roddenberry


Jenny Matlock

We are Centusians.
Resistance is futile.

.

23 comments:

  1. omg, you had way too much fun with the prompt. But, it was awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LMAO here! You did have alot of fun with this. I really did wake up this morning, see the prompt, and spill my coffee. But you make it look easy. Kat (oh, by the way - your musical brain eating zombie noir idea? They did that last week on Glee. Honest)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was cute! Have you seen William Shatner on the show %$#^# My Dad Says? He's so funny!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Tom, you shouldn't have!

    Hee Hee.

    Nice job. I was right there with them....on the Com.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awwww...I was beaten to the punch in referring to the green-skinned girls. Oh well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL, sounds like something straight out of Star Trek. Too funny. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Green often looks good on redheads.

    I've never been a Star Trek fan, nor read much SciFi, so I found this prompt to be a stinker.

    Glad you had such fun with it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm laughing out loud this morning, and considering how I actually feel, that is no small feat! GREAT job and so clever.

    =)

    PS. You're right that resistance is futile. I tried like anything to abstain yesterday, and it was a no-go. Never thought I'd take on sci-fi. Not ever! Our Ms. Jenny is pulling my strings...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hahaha! Who's got dibs on the bluehead?? Great story, Tom!

    I'll have to pass on the musicals--unless one's a remake of The King and I! I'm just not into that genre.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Giggle.
    I remember those green skinned dancing girls!
    Funny take here.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great one! Of course, I may be prejudice being the sought-after redhead. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well every good man should get his redhead, right! Funny post! Sweet and to the point!

    ReplyDelete
  13. "Green skinned dancing girls" - I like it. I mean, reading those words. Very clever and funny, Tom, with perfect wording.

    PS Why'd you go and give Jenny more suggestions in the pretext? If she runs with them, I'm blaming you.

    xoRobyn

    ReplyDelete
  14. Whimsical and yet testosterone-filled. :-)

    Nice job!

    Pearl

    ReplyDelete
  15. This was great! I can tell you are a trekkie or at least enjoy Science Fiction!

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOL! Got a kick out of reading both your's and Robyn's entries this week!

    ReplyDelete
  17. red heads huh, guess that cuts me out!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm sure Gene will understand! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. This was a hoot, and nice to see the playful side of Kirk and Scottie. Your end tag? As always, fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Goes well with the Captain's reputation...really good log post...funny and creative.

    ReplyDelete
  21. HEY! Where's your next SC? I wrote the prompt for Jenny and I know it is a little mundane, but you'll hurt my feelings if you don't at least give it a try!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow. Actually this was great! Since I actually watched half of a StarTrek once, it seemed exactly like I remembered.

    I can't leave invective here, though, sadly. You didn't give me anything at all to yell at you about.

    I love your suggestions. I'm thinking you should probably write the prompt for the musical, though.

    Are you game?

    Or maybe it should be a screenplay...much more appropriate to a word based meme!

    Thanks for the laugh, Tom.

    ReplyDelete

Please share your comments with me!

Blogs I Am In Awe Of