Saturday, April 9, 2011

When It Rains, It Kills - A Saturday Centus

.

Jenny Matlock


Welcome back lunatics, Centusians and various weirdniks of every persuasion to another of my weekly contributions to Saturday Centus, that indescribably fun writing meme hosted by Ms. Jenny Matlock (yes, THE Ms. Jenny Matlock) of “off on my tangent” blog fame. 

For those of you following along each week, this is week #49 of this challenging writing meme which is about writing short, short, tiny little stories that you can read on the toilet in less time than it takes to get the paper off the roll unless you use a lot of paper, in which case a different analogy would be better. 

What?  Not everyone brings their computers with them when they go to the bathroom?  How bizarre!  That’s like not making toast while you are taking a bath.  You’re missing out on one of life’s simple pleasures if you don’t!  Just saying!

Anyway, Ms. Jenny has given us a wonderful little phrase, or prompt as we like to call it, to base our teeny-tiny, itty-bitty stories on this week.  Borrowing from an old Al Jolson refrain, this week’s prompt is “April showers bring May flowers...”  As usual I am adding my 100 words to the prompt and concocting something twisted to entertain you and try to make you go “huh?” which as we all know is the goal of any writer living at my house.

Given the bizarre political climate of late I feel compelled to use this forum to blow off a little steam.  I apologize in advance to anyone who takes offense.  For those that do, just have a Democrat explain it to you and you will feel better.  No worries.

I have entitled this eentsy-weentsy bit of subversive literature:

When It Rains, It Kills

(Sometime in the near future)

He awoke to another bleak, rainy morning.  The traffic report blared over his clock radio before switching back to news.

News.   More like lies and propaganda.

He laughed at the thought of it still being called news.  Ever since the Republican Party, backed by corporate interests, had seized control of the country and handed it over to wealthy industrialists, life hadn’t been the same. 

Power and greed ruled.

Coal plants burned with no environmental regulations at all releasing toxins which poisoned lakes and streams and killed vegetation.

Pollution and acid rain prevailed.

April showers bring May flowers?”  Not anymore. 


Jenny Matlock


April showers bring May flowers…but Mayflowers bring Pilgrims

.

19 comments:

  1. Well written ! A bleak picture...

    Although this reminds me of our past too. I like to think we have learned lessons about being good to the earth. After all, where else do we have to go and live ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. First, that's a great title. As always, Tom, your writing is eloquent and convincing. You tell it like it is and/or will be. I like that about you.
    xoRobyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. An unsettling read under a very good title.

    Well done.

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not political, I blame our problems on humans, period. Good one, Tom.

    Thanks for dropping in today. Nice to see you out and about!

    ReplyDelete
  5. so true. I loved it. You said what I was feeling this week. good job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting...I'll be stopping by every Saturday to read more. Your last line made me chuckle.

    'April showers bring May flowers…but Mayflowers bring Pilgrims'

    ReplyDelete
  7. You said it brother! I can easily see where your head has been of late...mine too...Peace and blessings

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish it were not true. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Like minds! Good one Tom!~Ames

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tom,

    This is so timely and disturbing. I love your lighter posts, but this one exudes the ugly truth that we all want to ignore. So thought provoking, and as usual, very well crafted.

    Namaste..........cj

    PS - Thanks for stopping by and commenting on my last post. I love hearing from you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. One of the best motorcycle roads around here takes us past a coal plant, I try not to breathe. Sad really, they polute our air, but sell the energy to Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this!!! Way to freakin' go, boyfriend. So well-written and such important subject matter. Thanks for tackling the subject and even making it entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The ending .... could not help myself, laughed outloud. Politics .... want are ya gonna do???? This was entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very well done! (Just dropping by via Jane's blog.)

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh to wonder what the future brings for us all? I really enjoy disaster stories like this. To read them fictionally that is lol

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, I am so with you on this ... and I'm canadian ...

    ReplyDelete
  18. I need to forward this to one of the local talk radio stations. Gosh, they could have a heydey with this particular bit of brilliance.

    Really great Tom!

    ReplyDelete

Please share your comments with me!

Blogs I Am In Awe Of